Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
Introducing Specialist High Skills Majors (SHSM) at Notre Dame College School in Arts and Culture, Hospitality and Tourism, Information and Communication Technology, Transportation Technology, Horticulture and Landscaping, Construction, Manufacturing, Transportation, Sport.
- The SHSM is a specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific area (sector) while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), and assists in their transition from secondary school to apprenticeship training, college, university, or the workplace.
- An SHSM enables students to gain specific skills and knowledge in career-related environments and helps them focus on graduation and on pursuing their postsecondary goals.
Every SHSM must include the following five components:
- a bundle of 8–10 Grade 11 and Grade 12 credits that includes
i) 4 major credits that provide sector-specific knowledge and skills
ii) 2–4 other required credits from the Ontario curriculum.
iii) 2 cooperative education credits that provide experiences in a workplace setting.
- sector-recognized certifications and/or training courses
- experiential learning activities within the sector
- “reach ahead” experiences connected with the student’s chosen post-secondary pathway
- development of key Essential Skills and work habits required in the sector, and the use of the Ontario Skills Passport (OSP) for purposes of documentation. Students having successfully completed all the SHSM components and all other graduation requirements will be granted an OSSD Diploma with a SHSM seal.
To sign-up for the SHSM programs or to get more information, please visit or call the Student Services Department at 905-788-3060, ext. 2010.
Complete the General Intention Sheet with signature:
Please visit the following websites for further information: